Frequently Asked Questions


  1. Do I need to register my bicycle?
  2. What is the curfew in Mayville?
  3. How do I obtain an accident or police report?
  4. When is winter parking?
  5. Are fireworks legal in the City of Mayville?
  6. What are the department's hours of operation?
  7. What are the Child Safety Seat Requirements?
  8. Am I required to stop for pedestrians at crosswalks?
  9. How do I beome a Police Officer?
  10. Can people or companies sell items door-to-door?



Do I need to register my bicycle?

Yes, It is unlawful for any person to operate a bicycle owned by a resident of the City
or kept in the City upon any City street unless the bicycle is properly registered and licensed.


What is the curfew in Mayville?

Curfew in the City of Mayville is 11:00pm. No person under 18 years of age may be out in a public place or in a vehicle unless accompanied by his/her parent or guardian.

EXCEPTIONS. This section shall not apply to a child:
1. Who is performing an errand as directed by his parent, guardian or person having lawful custody.
2. Who is on his own premises or in the areas immediately adjacent thereto.
3. Whose employment makes it necessary to be upon the streets, alleys or public places or in any motor vehicle during such hours.
4. Who is returning home from a supervised school, church or civic function.

These exceptions shall not, however, permit a child to unnecessarily loiter about the streets, alleys or public places or be in a parked motor vehicle on the public streets.


How do I obtain an accident or police report?

Accident reports or police incident reports may be obtained at the Mayville Police Department during the hours of 8:00am and 4:00pm. A records request form must be completed and approved by the Chief of Police. A nominal fee is charged for copies. For more information, please contact the department at 920-387-7903.



When is winter parking?

Winter Parking in the City of Mayville is December 1 - April 1 from 1:00am to 6:00am on all City Streets. Parking on any city street is prohibited during these months. Parking in City lots is allowed by permit only. Parking permit may be purchased at City Hall during regular business hours. City hall can be contacted at 920-387-7900. For all other questions regarding winter parking, contact us at 920-387-7903.


Are Fireworks Legall to Use in City Limits?

The use of Class A and Class B Fireworks are not permitted within Mayville City Limits. Only Class C Fireworks are legall to use in the City. These include"Sparklers", "Snaps", "Black Snakes", and "Champagne Poppers". Most sellers require the purchase of a permit at the time of sale. This permit is for the possession of fireworks only and does not permit the use of fireworks.


What are the department's hours of operation?

The Mayville Police Department provides 24hour police protection. There is always a police officer on duty.

Office hours: Mon - Fri from 8:00am to 4:00pm

City Dispatch: Mon - Fri from 7:30am - 12:00am


What are the Child Safety Seat Requirements?

Children 12 years and younger are to be in the back seat.

Young Children
Birth to 1 year and 20-22lbs
Over 1year old / 20-40 lbs
Seat Position
Rear Facing
Forward Facing
Forward Facing

For more information regarding the Requirements and other Child Safety Seat Information, please visit the Wisconsin Department of Transportation Website at


Am I required to stop for Pedestrians at crosswalks?

Yes. At a crosswalk where there is no traffic control signal, the operator of a vehicle must yield the right-of-way to the pedestrian, or to a person on a bicycle or electric mobility device. And no vehicle may pass another vehicle that is stopped at a crosswalk for a pedestrian. Wis. Stat 346.24.

The fine for failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk is $217.50 plus 4 points on your driving record.


How do I become a Police Officer?

The State of Wisconsin minimum requirements are:

- At least 18 years of age.

- Posses a valid driver's license.

- A United States Citizen.

- No felony convictions.

- Be of good moral character, as determined from the results of a thorough background investigation.

- Have at least 60 college credits or an Associate Degree.

- Be free of any physical, emotional, or mental condition which might adversly affect law enforcement performance.

- Complete a satisfactory oral interview with the employing agency.

- Pass a pre-employment drug test.

- Certification is granted by the Law Enforcement Standards Board only upon employment (full or part-time), upon meeting all employment standards outlined above, and after successfully completing the 520 hour basic law enforcement course or other training contingency specified by the Board.


Can people or companies sell items door-to-door?

No. Mayville City Ordinance 193-1 states: It shall be unlawful for any direct seller, transient merchant or solicitor to engage in direct sales or solicitations within the City without being registered and licensed for that purpose.

All solicitors, merchants and sellers must apply for a peddlers permit at city hall. Only after the permit is completed and paid for can they begin going door-to-door.

If you have a peddler, merchant or solicitor come to your residence, you can contact the Mayville Police Department to verify whether a permit was issued or not.





Follow the Mayville Police Department on Facebook


Subscribe to the Mayville Police Department Youtube Channel

Employee Log-In

Police Department Employee Secure Section Only