Community Service Officer
The Mayville Police Student Internship Program has been merged into our Community Service Officer (CSO) Program. The CSO program was developed to assist the police department with a variety of services throughout the community.
About the CSO Program
Community Service Officers are part-time, limited term, non-sworn department employees. Generally, they are students enrolled in a criminal justice program or have an interest in a law enforcement career.
Duties consist of:
- Enforcement of handicap and other city parking laws
- Security checks of homes/properties.
- Investigate animal bites/complaints.
- Investigate junked vehicle complaints
- Assist at accident, crime and fire scenes.
- Assist at special events and parades
- Assist motorists with disabled vehicles
- Patrol the parks within the City of Mayville
- Lost and found property complaints
- Verify correction of vehicle defect warnings
- Assist with crime prevention assignments
- Deploy the radar speed trailer
- Other miscellaneous assignments
General Internship Requirements
An applicant must be:
- Majoring in Criminal Justice and interested in a career in Criminal Justice,
- Highly-motivated and ready to broaden their understanding of real police work,
- 18 years old,
- A junior, senior, or graduate student at an accredited college or university,
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in their major and 2.7 GPA overall
- And recommended by their faculty advisor